Sunday, May 13, 2012

My how 5 years can change things...

The last time I studied in France was five years ago...yes friends who studied abroad at the same time as me...that was FIVE years ago...ugh.

Anyway, France is still as French-y as ever, but I have to say that there is one major change that I've noticed that I'm not too excited about...

...the presence of cell phones, EVERYWHERE.

Something that I loved about France the first time was that people didn't talk on the phone in the streets, on public transportation, or basically anywhere but in their homes and offices. That, unfortunately, has changed. While they still are not on the cell phones in public anywhere near as much as we are, I still hate to see this trend. The whole point of the Parisian lifestyle is to enjoy the ones you are with and live in the moment so that's why it makes me so sad to see this.

I will go ahead and blame this directly on the iPhone, or any smartphone I guess. I don't have to write an entire lecture on why smartphones have changed the entire idea of a phone, and hence how people use them, BUT when someone walks into you because they are texting on their phone in France, you know it's a problem. 

The good news is that it is still socially acceptable to have a P.O.S Nokia phone...which is what I have...

Oh wait, that's not socially acceptable here either?? Boo.