Monday, April 30, 2012

Cinque Terre...

...might be the most beautiful place I've ever seen.

I've seen so many photos of these towns, but seeing it in real life was really unbelievable. Come with me for a little tour of this Italian gem...

p.s. I saw a big group of American students who were studying abroad from U of I while we were in one town. It took every bone in my body not to yell out, I-L-L!!! Patrick said it was too embarrassing and that no, I can't ask them if they are Thetas either...boo

Town 1: Monterosso al Mare: Leg one of the hike!

We decided to take the easy 'blue' path but on the walk all the markers we kept seeing were red and white...I don't know what that means but I will say that the hike was not exactly 'easy!'

Case in point:

On the first leg of the hike we saw fresh olive trees, grape vines, and lemon trees. No wonder all of the things we ate with those ingredients were so divine! 

Town 2: Vernazza: 2 hours later...we made it!

Sorry that I don't own heinous hiking boots. I might have almost slipped off a cliff a time or two but all in all, those suede boots did just fine!


Towns 3 and 4: Coniglia and Manarola This leg was still pretty damaged from the floods this area suffered in 2011 so we had to take a short train in between Vernazza and Corniglia. I secretly wasn't mad about that at all :)

Via dell'Amore: The lovers walk! Once again, we are on a sappy love walk and loving every minute of it! The path (paved, yes!) has names of famous historical lovers (think Romeo and Juliet) etched into the mountain side and also has love locks. Quite the romantic scenery! 




Town 5: Riomaggiore: Last but not least! We stopped for gelato and white wine in this town and loved it!