Saturday, March 31, 2012

L'Abbaye aux Dames: Girl Power

Today I went on a tour of Abbaye aux Dames (Women's Abbey) in downtown Caen. The garden of Abbaye is where I run, but I had never been inside so today I thought, pourquoi pas?

I was actually really inspired because the building and church are all dedicated to women saints only. (Shout out: Grandma, did you know there is a Sainte Judith?) 


Also, Charlotte Corday lived and was educated at the abbey from 1782-1789. She is a very well-known figure because she is the one who murdered revolutionary leader Jean-Paul Marat. This was her handy-work (see famous painting La Mort de Marat,) but then it was off-with-her-head. Unfortunate end, but I will say that this young girl from Caen really made a splash in the boy's club during the French Revolution!


Here are some more pictures of Abbaye aux Dames. A must-see!

The main church where Reine Mathilde is buried:

Eeeks?

My Dream House: