Monday, February 13, 2012

American in Da House.


This past week, I had the opportunity to go with my 'host mom' to the school in which she is an English teacher. (Did I mention she is French but has an impeccable British accent?? Incroyable!)

Anyway, she brought me in as a sort of 'show and tell' since I am American and they were doing a unit on New York City. She thought it would be interesting for the students (junior high age) to hear my accent because there really aren't a lot of Americans (if any) in the small town where she teaches. Of course, I accepted the invitation and had a really great time! 

Here are just a few of my favorite questions from the students:

-Do you know all the celebrities? 
-Do you like football and bazzzeball? 
-Can we hear you speak French?
-Are you friends with Barack Obama?

Although this was all very entertaining for me, I will say, these junior high age students practically understood everything I said. I think that is such an accomplishment and I would give anything to go back in time and learn a language at a younger age. Obviously I'm biased, given my future career path, but knowing more than one language is just so damn cool. Especially when you're 12... :) 

Tout à l'heure everyone!